UV-VIS-NIR general information
A UV-Visible spectrometer is generally used for measuring homogeneous, transparent liquids or solid samples using the transmission method. Use of the transmission method to measure opaque or translucent solid samples or turbid liquid samples results in the loss of the incident light beam due to diffuse reflectance or diffuse transmittance. This prevents sufficient light from reaching the detector. An integrating sphere enables such measurements by collecting the lost light and directing it onto a detector.
Five types of integrating spheres are available:
ISV-722/723 60 mm Integrating Spheres
- Wavelength range: 250 - 850 nm (for use with the V-650, V-660, V-670)
- Wavelength range: 250 - 2500 nm (for use with the V-670)
Both 60 mm diameter spheres are equipped as standard with a sample-side cell holder capable of accepting a cuvette of up to a 50 mm path length.
- Sample size: Maximum 50 (H) x 35 (W) x 22 (D) mm (in reflection measurement)
- Cell sizes: Rectangular sample cell 5, 10, 20, 50 mm path lengths (transmission measurement)
- Beam: Approx. 7 mm (H) x 4 mm (W) (spectral bandwidth: 5 nm at 500 nm, at window position for transmission measurement)
- Inside wall coating of sphere: Barium sulphate with Spectralon plates
- Photomultiplier Tube Hamamatsu R928
- PbS detector (ISN-470 NIR Sphere only)
ILV-724 and ILN-725 150mm Integrating Sphere
- Wavelength range 250-850 nm
- Wavelength range 250 - 2500 nm
Both 150 mm diameter spheres are equipped as standard with a sample and reference cell holder capable of accepting cuvettes of up to a 50 mm path length.
- Cell sizes: Rectangular 5,10,20,50 mm pathlength (in transmission measurement)
- Beam: Approximately 13 mm (H) x 6 mm (W) spectral bandwidth: 5 nm spectral bandwidth at 500 nm, at the window position for reflectance measurement. 9 mm (H) x 5.5 mm (W) at 500 nm 5 nm spectral bandpass in transmission mode at the window position for transmission measurement
- Inside wall coating of sphere: Barium sulphate
- R928 Photomultiplier detector
- Thermoelectrically stabilised PbS detector (ILN-472 NIR sphere only)
Accessories for Integrating Spheres
PSH-001 Powder holder for integrating spheres
This accessory is used for measuring powder samples using an integrating sphere accessory. The sample is sandwiched between two quartz plates and the holder is placed in the reflectance sample position on the sphere.
SSH-506 Holder for diffuse transmittance measurement using a 60 mm integrating sphere
This holder is used for mounting solid samples such as plastic films and glass in a 60 mm sphere. The rectangular cell holder is removed from the sphere. The SSH-506 holder replaces the rectangular cell holder. Transmittance measurements are made with the sphere acting as a larger more efficient detector for scattering samples. Air is the normal reference for transmittance of solids.
HISV-728 and HISN-729 Portable integrating spheres
HISV-728 for use with the V-650, 660 and 670 for wavelengths from 250 to 800nm
HISN-729 for use with the V-670 for wavelengths from 250 to 2,500nm
Sample a range of external samples using the handheld probe ideal for:
- Wall and floor covering materials
- Sheet materials
Single handed operation using the built-in start buttton
PIV-756 and PIN-757 Horizontal Integrating Sphere
PIV-756 for use with the V-650, 660 and 670 for wavelengths from 250 to 800nm
PIN-757 for use with the V-670 for wavelengths from 250 to 2,500nm
- As samples can be mounted horizontally, it is convenient to mount irregular shaped samples such as tablets or capsules, liquids on glass slides, gel type samples
- Optical system using lens for small samples.
- transmittance and reflectance measurements.
IJV-726 and IJN-727; Integrating Sphere for Gem analysis
IJV-726 for use with the V-650, 660 and 670 for wavelengths from 250 to 800nm
IJV-727 for use with the V-670 for wavelengths from 250 to 2,500nm
Dedicated integrating sphere for the analysis of gem stones.
optical system using lens for use with small gemstones.
transmittance and reflectance measurements.
SSH-507 Holder for diffuse transmittance measurement using a 150 mm integrating sphere
As SSH-506 but designed for the 150 mm sphere.
SSH-508 Holder for diffuse transmittance measurement on integrating sphere with absolute reflectivity measurement accessory (for ARN-474/ARN-475)
This accessory is used for measuring the diffuse transmittance of solid samples using an integrating sphere accessory. The holder is positioned on the window of the integrating sphere in place of the rectangular cuvette cell holder
FCH-002 Fluorescence cut-off filter
The use of this fluorescence cut-off filter permits accurate measurement of the transmittance/reflectance of a sample that emits fluorescence (450 nm to 650 nm) using light at a wavelength near 300 nm. It is installed between the integrating sphere and the detector